Private insurance for TU Delft guest researchers, visitors as well for graduated TU Delft students trying to find a job in the Netherlands (in so-called “search year”)

When you are a TU Delft, international quest researcher, visitor or graduated student in “search year” and don’t receive any income in the Netherlands, you can only apply for a private healthcare insurance and so can your accompanied family members.


We offer you, a special TU Delft insurance, the Masterplan+ from insurance company Insure To Study. This insurance is known for its excellent price-quality ratio. It meets both the IND requirements if you need a residence permit and the TU Delft requirements of having a costprice medical/pre-existing insurance, a liability insurance and a lot more. Have a look at the extent of cover which International Insurances offers.


If you start working this might have consequences for your healthcare insurance. Contact us when you start working.

Did you receive a letter from CAK? Read here what you should do.
logo Insure To Study

The benefits for you

This insurance covers the costs associated with COVID-19 disease.

International Insurances offers suiting solutions for quest researchers, visitors, students with a scholarship, sponsor or selffunding and their family members  on the university. to all possible insurance types. We listed some advantages below (Masterplan+):



  • Medical costs are insured up to the cost price (no limitation)
  • No deductible excess after health care costs
  • Including dental, physiotherapy and psychotherapy coverage, click here for the extent of cover
  • Low premium and excellent conditions
  • Pre-exsisting conditions are also insured
  • Including insurance package (luggage and household effects, legal assistance, personal accidents, repatriation (first and second degree),
  • travel insurance and very important liability/third party)
  • You can apply already for this insurance in your homeland, the start day from the insurance is the day you will leave your country
  • Assistance if you start working, start an internship or receive letters from the government (CAK)
  • We are available 24/7 for all your questions (SOS-International: 020-6515154)
  • Worldwide coverage including USA as well in your home country. This includes holidays and internship.


* dental expenses costs up to € 750, physiotherapy up to € 500, manual therapy up to € 350, occupational therapy max. 10 hours and psychotherapy up to € 3.000 a year.

Check out the terms and conditions below



This insurance meets both the IND requirements if you need a residence permit and the TU Delft requirements of having sufficient medical and liability insurance.


€ 59,50 per month (30 days) € 1,98 per day for a full package insurance including medical costs


You can always contact International Insurances for personal advice at phone number 088 – 12 10 292 or send an email to, 24/7! Our advisors will gladly help you over the phone or by email.

Frequently asked questions

Which address should I use to fill in the form and how do I pay for the insurance?

When you apply, please fill in your current address, your address in country of origin. In the case, you already know your address in the Netherlands, you can fill it in on the form. When you don’t know your address in the Netherlands yet, you can inform us about this after arriving in the Netherlands. At the moment you apply, we will ask you to pay the premium for the first months. Therefore it is better to apply when you know for sure you will fly to the Netherlands.

Which advantages do you have with our insurances? Please pay attention.

As these insurances are special for TU Delft guests, visitors, excisting illnesses are included.

Medical costs after getting the coronavirus are also included. As the coronavirus is qualified from the WHO (World Health Organisation) as an epidemic and pandemic, other insurance companies may exclude medical costst in case of an epidemic and pandemic. In that case there is no coverage for medical costs after getting the coronavavirus. Please be aware of this!

What happens after you applied?

After applying for our student insurance you will receive an automatic confirmation by email from Insure To Study. This confirmation will also contain a temporay policy (‘Pre-polis’). If you didn’t receive it, please check your spam folder.

You will receive the original policy and all relevant documents by email within 2 working days.
After arriving in the Netherlands, and we know, your Dutch address, we will send you everything (including the insurance card) via regular mail.

How to find a general practicioner?

TU Delft students please visit ‘SGZ student’ and your student insurance company ‘Insure to Study’ are working closely together. Upon presentation of your insurance card, which you will receive after you applied for the student insurance, SGZ will send your invoice directly to the insurance company.


It goes without saying you can see a GP of your choice. Perform a Google search: huisarts, streetname, city.
Your search result will list all general practitioners in your area. It is not uncommon the GP will bill you during your visit. It is customary to pay upfront and get reimbursed afterwards by the insurance company.

You can also visit the following website with information about the general practitioners in Delft:

I feel sick (nausea). What do I do?

In the Netherlands the first one to see, when you don’t feel well is a general practitioner (GP). He/she will advise you on what to do, look for the cause and suggest treatments. You need a referral from a general practitioner for medicines, a medical test or to see a specialist in the hospital.

In the Netherlands, you can’t go directly to the hospital. In case of a real emergency the emergency number is 112.

Also please see the question “Who can I contact in the evening, night or weekend when the general practitioner is not available?”

Who can I contact in the evening, night or in the weekend, when the general practicioner is not available?

When you feel sick during your GP’s of duty hours you can call him/she to get the details of an on-duty GP service. In every city there is a GP service website/phone number you can call. During a brief telephone interview the GP service will determine if it is necessary for you to visit the GP service (called huisartsenpost).

For Delft for example: huisartsenpost Delft.


Phone number: 015-2511930

How can I cancel my insurance, when I leave the Netherlands?

When you work for Flex Delft, for example as a teaching assistant, you always have to change to the Dutch basic health insurance. Even when you work only a few hours in the month. The Dutch basic health insurance has to start from the moment your employment contract starts.
Even if you are in a part-time job besides your study, for example when you work in a restaurant or shop, you need to change your insurance.
For more information or help, please send us an email.

What else can you expect from International Insurances?

  • Walk-in hours and workshops
  • Competitive premium with excellent terms and conditions
  • Simple compare online or by telephone, calculate and apply
  • International Insurances helpdesk: 24/7 reachable for personal advice. A personal approach and no being on hold
  • One telephonenumber for all your questions and reporting your damage
  • Annual insurance check: does your coverage reflect your current situation?
  • Free damage recovery service
  • ‘Mijn Online polismap-app’ (access insurance details, submit changes, and report damages)